In 1850 when Holy Cross, Collinsville called Pastor Strasen to replace founding pastor Fredric Lochner who had taken a call to Milwaukee the passage connected with Strasen’s call was Hebrews 5:4, “And no one takes this honor for himself, but only when called by God.”
Last Sunday Hebrews 5:1-10 was the epistle lesson, and guest pastor Dale Kuhn found five points to apply to pastors in the text. Incidentally, Resurrection installed a new senior pastor in the afternoon.
- 5:1, Every pastor is chosen from among people to act on behalf of people in relation to God offering gifts and sacrifices for sins.
- 5:2, The pastor can deal gently with people because the pastor is also beset with the weakness.
- 5: 3, Because the pastor is from among the people, the pastor also has sins which need forgiveness.
- 5:4, The pastor is also called by God and has a sense or conviction that this is the right way to spend his life.
- 5:5, The pastor does is not self-centered, but Christ centered.